Re: Strange Boxes instead of letter-font in X

Kristian Lampen wrote:
Maybe this question is asked already several times, but I did not
found the answer in the Net right now. Because sometimes late at
night you have no time to crawl all over the internet to get it work,
I ask this question again!

I run Etch with the recent updates on an Acer Aspire Laptop. But
since several weeks I have a font problem under X(org). The "normal"
letters all look good, but instead of special letters like "öäü..." I
see just white Boxes with a hexadezimal(?)-code inside. Not always in
all programms, but in the most. I thought it is just a problem of not
 installed fonts or wrong Language-setting, but I did not manage to
fix this till now.

Maybe someone Can Help me? Thank You

Kristian

There is not enough information here to diagnose your problem, but you
can find out why fonts are not working properly by using some commands:

xlsfonts <---------- shows you all of the fonts that X recognizes
xset q | grep -A 1 "Font Path" <-------- displays all of the directories
that X searches for fonts.

fc-list <------------ lists the fonts recognized by fontconfig