Strange Boxes instead of letter-font in X

Maybe this question is asked already several times, but I did not found the answer in the Net right now. Because sometimes late at night you have no time to crawl all over the internet to get it work, I ask this question again!

I run Etch with the recent updates on an Acer Aspire Laptop. But since several weeks I have a font problem under X(org). The "normal" letters all look good, but instead of special letters like "öäü..." I see just white Boxes with a hexadezimal(?)-code inside. Not always in all programms, but in the most. I thought it is just a problem of not installed fonts or wrong Language-setting, but I did not manage to fix this till now.

Maybe someone Can Help me?
Thank You

Kristian