Re: update messages

Sven Arvidsson wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-12-31 at 19:11 +0000, Digby Tarvin wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> That says it all, doesn't it?
>> Afraid the name doesn't mean anything to me.
>
> As it's maintained by someone with an debian-unofficial.org address, I
> take that as an indication that it's a package from their archives, and
> not one from the official Debian ones.
>
> You could also look in the documentation of the package
> (/usr/share/doc/packagename) and see if there are any clues in
> changelog.Debian.gz, README.Debian etc.
>
>> Sorry, couldn't find the message you are referring to - was it posted under
>> the same name? All I can find other than the the one I am replying to
>> is
>
> This link,
>
> From the bug report:
>         "It turns out that after several years including
>         xv in the non-free archive that we are not allowed to distribute
>         modified binaries."
>
>> Is there a history file/database somewhere where additions and
>> removals from the official debian package repository are logged?
>> Something which came back with 'removed on such and such a date
>> for such and such a reason' would be so much more useful than
>> a database which only mentioned packages that still existed.
>>
>> After all, if there is a philosophical objection to a package on
>> some ground, removing it makes a much stronger statement if people
>> know why it isn't there.
>
> Packages being removed from a stable release is often mentioned in the
> news of the new release, see here for example.
> http://www.debian.org/News/2005/20050416
>
> There's also a page here, listing software that cannot be packaged,
> http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/unable-to-package
>
> None of these are easy to find, and not really what you are looking for,
> so I can see why it's a bit frustrating.

Most likely the only way you will get it to install is compile it
yourself. The license is fairly restrictive, therefore not in debian
at all. For more info and downloads, go to the official site...

http://www.trilon.com/xv/

I use it, but have had to recompile from time to time to keep it
working.

- --