Re: update messages

On Sun, Dec 31, 2006 at 00:17:29 +0000, Digby Tarvin wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 30, 2006 at 11:37:01PM +0100, Sven Arvidsson wrote:
> > > So what puzzles me is why it is no longer in 'non-free', and if
> > > it was removed because of some objection to the licensing terms,
> > > surely there should be something documenting this??
> >
> > Are you quite sure it was in the official Debian archives? I can only
> > find it in the non-free section on debian-unofficial.org, and the
> > package name seems to match.
> > http://ftp.debian-unofficial.org/debian/pool/non-free/x/xv/
> >
> > I also found this old bug from 2001, dealing with removing xv from the
> > archive as distribution of modified binaries is prohibited.
>
> If so then I forgot to make a note of it, but I suppose in all the
> excitement of the initial install that is possible.
>
> Is there any way to check the origin of an deb archive in my
> /var/cache/apt/archives?

You could try

dpkg-deb --info /var/cache/apt/archives/<name-of-the>.deb

As far as I know there is no standard field to denote the origin of a
.deb file, but maybe you will find a clue somewhere, e.g. in the
"Maintainer" field.

You could also check if you can find the .deb on snapshot.debian.net or
with a google search.

--
Regards,
          Florian