Re: update messages

On Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 08:40:41PM +0000, Digby Tarvin wrote:

> I think that rather than letting aptitude loose to do everything
> it wants in one fell swoop, it might be more conservative to start
> with an
> 	apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

as you know, running apt-get and aptitude can cause a database to get
out of sync... but your plan is not without merit. If you have
previously used aptitude exclusively, you can do the same thing as
above but s/apt-get/aptitude/g.

aptitude update && aptitude upgrade

will give you the same behavior as apt-get...

> to get the easier updates done first, and then if that goes well
> follow up with a hopefully smaller
> 	apt-get dist-upgrade
> to deal with the remainder in a separate run.

and then follow up with

aptitude dist-upgrade

> Then I can try running aptitude and hopefully it will have stopped
> crashing and can tell me what else it thinks is left to be done....

I missed the bit about it crashing. what's happening?

> One of the things that bothered me about what aptitude wanted to do
> was that it included several packages it threatened to remove because
> they were 'no longer used'. I don't know how it decided this, as the
> list included packages like 'xv' and 'xearth' which I explicitly
> installed and definately use quite regularly....

run aptitude in interactive mode and manually mark those packages:

aptitude

then 'u' to update, 'U' to mark for upgrade, then 'g' to see what it
want to do. scroll through and mark 'm' on those you want to keep,
which should mark them as manually installed. you may need to '+'
them as well, to keep them around. I have not been using aptitude long
(having used apt-get exclusively before), but am learning that you can
actually get it to do what *you* want with a little fiddling. Then it
will generally respect what you want...

good luck