Re: Does Etch support Intel Woodcrest Xeon processors?

Official response has come back from my host providers:

"Well i've been doing a lot of research today, and as far as i can
tell it wont work. The scsi drive controller isn't recognized during
the install, and i can't find anyway to force it to detect, the
problem is on these servers there is no way to go straight to the
board, it has to go through a raid controller which isn't recognized.
If you wanna talk to the developers about this and see if they can
figure it out, then great we can do it, but as of right now it's not
something we can do, it wont even boot a live cd for debian."

On 12/29/06, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
On Fri, Dec 29, 2006 at 10:38:19PM +0200, Justin Hartman wrote:
> On 12/29/06, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> >what kernel version are they running? Etch is currently at some
> >version of 2.6.18 and 2.6.19 was only just released. Now maybe sarge
> >doesn't support that processor, but I can't imagine that CentOS RHES
> >or Fedora are running a kernel much newer than etch's. That said,
> >maybe there is not true support for that processor in 2.6.18 and the
> >red hat folks have put together something that they haven't released,
> >but I doubt it. Surely, they are referring to sarge when they say
> >Debian won't install/run.
>
> The server is brand new out the box and is as bare as a baby's bottom.
> Installing Etch would bring the kernel up to ver 2.6.18 I think and I
> don't believe the support story. My guess is similar to yours, and I'm
> awaiting for a response, that they are referring to Sarge and not
> Etch.
>
> As Kevin said, the Debian community is as much a support as I'll need
> and I personally don't need to fork out $$$ to have them do what I can
> do just as well.

:)

--
Regards