Re: Does Etch support Intel Woodcrest Xeon processors?

On 12/29/06, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
what kernel version are they running? Etch is currently at some
version of 2.6.18 and 2.6.19 was only just released. Now maybe sarge
doesn't support that processor, but I can't imagine that CentOS RHES
or Fedora are running a kernel much newer than etch's. That said,
maybe there is not true support for that processor in 2.6.18 and the
red hat folks have put together something that they haven't released,
but I doubt it. Surely, they are referring to sarge when they say
Debian won't install/run.

The server is brand new out the box and is as bare as a baby's bottom.
Installing Etch would bring the kernel up to ver 2.6.18 I think and I
don't believe the support story. My guess is similar to yours, and I'm
awaiting for a response, that they are referring to Sarge and not
Etch.

As Kevin said, the Debian community is as much a support as I'll need
and I personally don't need to fork out $$$ to have them do what I can
do just as well.
--
Regards
Justin Hartman