Re: Does Etch support Intel Woodcrest Xeon processors?

On Fri, Dec 29, 2006 at 03:05:07PM -0500, Kevin Mark wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 29, 2006 at 09:17:47PM +0200, Justin Hartman wrote:
> > Quick question.
> >
> > I'm trying to setup a new server and am looking at hardware
> > configurations for the server. I've been told by the sales person that
> > Debian can not be installed on an Intel Woodcrest Xeon processor.
> >
> > The original quote from them is as follows, "We can not do Debian or
> > FreeBSD on these servers however as the latest versions of those OS do
> > not support this hardware yet. We can do CentOS, RHES or Fedora."

what kernel version are they running? Etch is currently at some
version of 2.6.18 and 2.6.19 was only just released. Now maybe sarge
doesn't support that processor, but I can't imagine that CentOS RHES
or Fedora are running a kernel much newer than etch's. That said,
maybe there is not true support for that processor in 2.6.18 and the
red hat folks have put together something that they haven't released,
but I doubt it. Surely, they are referring to sarge when they say
Debian won't install/run.

.02