Re: Printer Sharing (CUPS)

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 19:47:16 +0100
Danesh Daroui <Danesh.D@bredband.net> wrote:

> Well it works with Windows XP machines very well. I need to know how
> can I configure it to work with my Linux box too. By the way, my
> firewall on both Ubuntu and Debian as server is set to "Allow Policy"
> not there is no problem with its ports. It is absolutely safe since
> this network is behind a statefull firewall.
>

> Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

[...]

> > You don't need samba.  You just need CUPS' port (631) to be allowed
> > through the firewall (if applicable).  In windows, you can tell it
> > to use IPP for the protocol and then you give it the ip address or
> > hostname of the machine and the name of the printer as you
> > installed it in CUPS.

Roberto is right: samba just complicates matters when it comes to
printer sharing. Tell your XP clients to use IPP instead.

To answer your question re. the linux client ... stop the CUPS server
on the client (if it is running) and edit the
file /etc/cups/client.conf as needed, specifically the "ServerName"
value. Thereafter all CUPS-enabled applications will find your server.

--

Liam