Re: ..OT: Watch your snow load!

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Sat, Dec 23, 2006 at 10:53:00AM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
Roberto writes:
Depending on the dimensions of your property, it might be fairly easy to
find another vein of ground water.
Aquifers are usually quite large.

I know that my well is something like four times the depth of the wells
of some of my neighbors, whose wells are less than a few hundred yards
away.
The depth of a well is often determined by how much time the well driller
has before his next job.

often yes, but even more often, the depth of the well is determined by
howmuch money the well driller's client has in his pocket. ;-)

And here (Esquipulas, Oaxaca, Mexico) we dig wells by hand and lower the concrete casings by hand. These are about 12 meters deep, so they are very shallow but an extraordinary amount of work (minimum wage was just "raised" to about 6US$ per day). They are underneath concrete shelters (earthquakes) so if they must be deeper, in go the guys on ropes. Uncontrolled growth causes the groundwater level to lower itself. No easy solutions...

Hugo