Re: moving /var

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 10:01:35PM -0000, richard@the-place.net wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 01:41:11PM -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 14:36 +0000, richard@the-place.net wrote:
> > > I recently tried to move /var to a new partition.  Booted from some
> > > live cd, moved it and edited /etc/fstab to suit.  Broke the machine
> > > as it wouldn't boot afterwards (in fact I recollect it booted but with

[...]
> > > What should I have done?
> >
> > I have done it many times from LiveCD, also from Single user mode. I had
> > to turn off some logging and other things even in single user mode.
> >
> > Effectively you have to make sure you get everything. If you are running
> > Ubuntu there are additional items you need to make sure are taken care
> > of. (Make sure /var/run and /var/lock are on the root partition for
> > tmpfs filesystems)

[...]
> > So, what did you do to move it? (list of commands used, would be good)
>
> Hmm, it's a couple of weeks ago now.  I usually use cp -a for things
> like this and then rename the directory and make a new one to mount to,
> but in this case I think I used mv.  I don't think there are any critical
> symlinks. The old /var directory was definitely empty after the move,
> because I checked.  Anyway cp -a back again put everything into place
> and the system booted as normal afterwards.

when I've done it in the past, I have tar'd the whole directory, cp'd
and untar'd it in the new location, change fstab and reboot. done. I
don't see why cp -a wouldn't work too... hmmm... maybe you've got some
other problem and this is just a symptom.

> The implication of your comments is that you don't think there was any
> problem with initrd. In fact, I am sure I have done this before with no
> problems.  I was surprised when there was a problem.  I did also move
> /usr (to another partition) which was of course trouble-free.  Perhaps I
> shall try again when I get back to that box ( am in the wrong country at
> the moment).
>
> Really, I asked two questions mixed up together.  The other is how to
> run makeinitrd, or anything else such as lilo or grub-install (or
> whatever the command is) in a chroot, when chrooting cuts you off from
> the /dev and /proc filesystems so that none of these commands will run.

mount proc -t proc /mnt/chroot/proc

check the debian install manual, there is information on installing
from another unix system and included there is how to install kernels
from the chroot. should be applicable here.