Re: [half-solved] Re: Alsa needs reconfiguration after every reboot

On Tuesday 19 December 2006 19:17, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 06:18:12PM +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > On Tuesday 19 December 2006 17:19, vladimir.kozlov@idm.ru wrote:
> > > I've just found the reason (at least on my laptop): the problem is with
> > > esound package -
> > >
> > > rover:/home/rover# ps aux | grep esd
> > > rover     2655  0.0  0.4   2048   580 ?        S    18:39   0:00
> > > /usr/bin/esd -nobeeps
> > >
> > > prevents alsa from working. After alsaconf there is no esd running, but
> > > after reboot it appears again.
> > > How to disable esd on bootup - I could not deistall the esound package
> > > because it suggests to deinstall a gnome-desktop-environment package,
> > > and deinstall of esound-common suggests to deinstall a lot of other
> > > packages, that I would like to preserve as well...
> > >
> > > Kind regards,
> > >
> > > Vladimir.
> >
> > Esd should not be being started at bootup, as it's a Gnome thing, but
> > will probably be started when you login to Gnome. I can't login to Gnome
> > on Etch for some reason.
>
> How strange.  I can't log in to anything other than Gnome.  icewm is
> installed,m is my default window manager, but I get Gnome.
>
> -- hendrik

I don't use Gnome. It may have been some update for Etch that's stopped
logging into Gnome. As I use KDE, I'm using KDM as the desktop manager, but
is a bit strange that I can't login to Gnome. I don't know about other window
managers, as I've never tried them.

All my Debian installs were started from installing Woody 3.0r2. Two were
upgraded to Sarge, which was still on testing at the time, and the third one
when Sarge went stable stayed on testing, which is my current Etch install.

It's probably worth asking on the list, as to why your having problems logging
into icewm.

Nigel.