Re: blank screen on /etc/init.d/gdm [re]start

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 02:55:50PM -0500, mutsuura wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I have a fresh install on a Gateway E4100. After a net-install and
> standard configuration, I reboot the machine.
>
> I see the standard startup text scroll by on the screen but when it gets
> to the point of starting gdm - I get a blank screen.
>
> ALT-CTL-F1 gets me to the command line gdm login screen. I can log in as
> root or user I created during install.
>
> I tried different monitor - still blank screen.
>
> Tried different monitor settings - still blank screen.
>
> Rebooted with UBUNTU LIVE CD - that works properly. I manage to get into
> gnome under ubuntu's monitor detection scheme [ruling out any hardware
> problem].
>
> I used the same net-install disk & procedure as on my home machine.
> Everything works properly at home.

what hardware: video card specifically. lspci | grep VGA

> I tried the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 from home (see attached) - still blank
> screen!

I'm amazed that it doesn't work with the vesa driver, but you're
provide the WW and EE lines of your /var/log/xfree86.log (I think
that's the name of it).

> I tried to "find" a 'xorg.conf' file on my system but there doesn't appear
> to be one.

that's because you're not using xorg, but xfree86, and thats fine

> Should I uninstall gdm and reinstall it via dpgk?

nope.

> Is there a startup log file I can download that would give a clue to the
> problem?

that what the log file referred to above is.