blank screen on /etc/init.d/gdm [re]start

Hi All

I have a fresh install on a Gateway E4100. After a net-install and standard configuration, I reboot the machine.

I see the standard startup text scroll by on the screen but when it gets to the point of starting gdm - I get a blank screen.

ALT-CTL-F1 gets me to the command line gdm login screen. I can log in as root or user I created during install.

I tried different monitor - still blank screen.

Tried different monitor settings - still blank screen.

Rebooted with UBUNTU LIVE CD - that works properly. I manage to get into gnome under ubuntu's monitor detection scheme [ruling out any hardware problem].

I used the same net-install disk & procedure as on my home machine. Everything works properly at home.

I tried the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 from home (see attached) - still blank screen!

I tried to "find" a 'xorg.conf' file on my system but there doesn't appear to be one.

Should I uninstall gdm and reinstall it via dpgk?

~>:-((((

Would appreciate specific suggestions? -references?

Is there a startup log file I can download that would give a clue to the problem?

Much thx

Attila
# XF86Config-4 (XFree86 X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the XF86Config-4 manual page.
# (Type "man XF86Config-4" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xfree86 package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xfree86
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following commands as root:
#
#   cp /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.custom
#   md5sum /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 >/var/lib/xfree86/XF86Config-4.md5sum
#   dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

Section "Files"
	FontPath	"unix/:7100"			# local font server
	# if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/CID"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"