Re: xine, mplayer or any media player segfaults

On Sun, 2006-12-17 at 02:11 -0500, Nick Lidakis wrote:
> As of a couple of days ago, any media player that I try on my Debian Sid
> box segfaults, no matter what video file format. Same goes after
> installing VLC.
>
> After doing a search, I think I might want to use a program called
> strace to try to figure out what's going on. I have to admit that I am
> totally perplexed by the strace man page as well as by the output after
> running "strace xine example.avi".
>
> How do I post the output to the mailing list, as a text attachment or
> inline with the message? Any preferred command line options?

strace output is really verbose and become really long really fast, I
don't think putting it inline would be appreciated unless you trim it
down to only the relevant parts, if it's possible to find them.

You could use something like http://pastebin.com/ to post it online and
provide a link, or possibly compress the log and attach it to a mail.

For using strace, this tutorial is pretty easy to follow.
http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2006/05/strace-very-powerful-troubleshooting.html

If strace can't help you, the next step is gdb, but it's a little more
complicated as you need to build debug enabled version of the packages
you have trouble with.
http://wiki.debian.org/?HowToGetABacktrace

--
Cheers,