Re: Add hardware to an existing system

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 05:14:27PM +0000, kevin bailey wrote:
> Something I've never known how to do?!?!
>
> Say I've installed Etch (which looks as good as Ubuntu BTW) on to a PC - and
> I then need to install a new graphics card and a DVD burner.
>
> Now I take it that during installation the hardware was detected and the
> various modules were selected and loaded.  How to I tell the system to load
> the new modules required?

If you're running Etch, which uses udev, it should just work.  Xorg may
need reconfiguring if the card uses a different driver: dpkg-reconfigure
Xorg should do it.  If it complains that your xorg.conf file had been
modified so isn't going to touch it use dexconf.

The DVD burner, if replacing your CDROM will act like a CDROM.  You
would then add burner software and point it at the drive.  Any module
required will be added by udev when your software accesses the drive.

I haven't tried sound on Etch yet so I don't know if its is equally
transparent on Etch or if you have to add the correct modules/params
manually (use modconf if you do).

Moving/adding drives may require some config changes (e.g. what disk
gets booted, what is my root partition called now?).

I hope that helps.

Doug.