Re: New Debian user

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 06:32:06PM +0100, Niels Rasmussen wrote:
> Hi all

hi, welcome.

> Now my decision have been made I want to install Debian !

great!

> Using Debian should only be for desktop use (Gnome), mayby later
> supplied with some webserver stuff.
>
> But I have some doubts/thoughts about which flavour to use.
>
> I want to have a stable release installed and then "Sarge" would be
> the choice, but looking at the descriptions mayby "Etch" should be the
> lucky one, primarily because my processor is 64 bit.

sarge is currently stable, but etch is in freeze and will become
stable very shortly.

> My System (Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo H) (Vista ready BLEEH !!):
> AMD 64 3800+ X2 DUAL core, 2000 Mhz, 2 core's 2 processors
> 2 GB of RAM's
> 2x250 GB harddisc (one of them used to store music and fotos)
> ATI Radeon X700SE w/256 MB
> Samsung Syncmaster 940BF, LCD
> WLAN Router D-Link DI-524
>
> What release and what installation method would you recommend ??

personally, for desktop use, I would recommend you go ahead with
"Etch". It will be stable soon. Its in freeze already which means
there won't be many changes in the short-term. It has much better
support for modern hardware than sarge. Finally, it has a nice new gui
installer.