Re: Add hardware to an existing system

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 04:42:17PM -0200, Gustavo Franco wrote:

> - Video card: Probably it will be properly detected and the kernel
> module will be loaded, but you will still need to reconfigure your
> Xorg if it uses a different chipset than the older card. You can
> reconfigure the package xserver-xorg or simply edit /etc/X11/Xorg.conf
> changing the Driver from the old to the new one.

seems to me that it would be pretty simple to setup X to watch for a
new video card and launch dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg on a reboot
when there is a new one. Maybe udev could write to a file somewhere
with the info on what video was detected, and some rc script could
watch for that to change and make appropriate adjustments.