Re: dumb question about installing etch....

From: Douglas Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: dumb question about installing etch....
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 09:20:46 -0500

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 10:18:28AM +0000, Chris Lale wrote:
> Douglas Tutty wrote:

> >>Did you download the Etch RC1 installer from
> >>http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/? Choose "netinst CD image > >>(100-150 MB)". Burn the ISO image to a CD. Boot from the CD and press F3
> >>at the prompt. You can choose a curses-bases installer or a GUI
> >>installer. The installer will install all the latest packages in Etch
> >>directly from the repository. You will need a broadband connection.

> If you haven't got broadband you will need to be patient! It takes me 2
> - 3 hours to install Etch over broadband. I installed Sarge once using a
> 56k dialup and it took a whole day.

Dear Debianists,

Thank you for all this advice.... I installed the RC1 version of Etch over the internet using a netinstall CD I downloaded. It took me 1 hour to download the netinstall CD image.

Installing the OS was quite fast. Downloading the packages from the internet once the install got underway took about 1 hour and ten minutes with the broadband connection I use. The whole install including farting around took about 2 hours I guess.

I could have stuck with Sarge but I got this pesky problem of not being to be able configure the printer properly. I did install gimp print but it didn't solve the problem. I then realised that studying the manuals for Cups, Foomatic and also the file locations for ppd files supplied by gimprint could take quite a long time.

Longer than installling Etch where gutenprint would be included automatically and might solve the problem.

It did.

Etch is very good. I think it is much better than Fedora Core 6 which did not install iptables properly and so is not secure.

Regards,

Michael Fothergill

Just to see (and to rearrange my raid/lvm setup), I installed Etch amd64
RC1 last night and chose a mirror and had it install the whole standard
system from within the installer.  It took 7 hrs.  I imagine that if I
had asked it to install Gnome it could have taken a week.

To me, the goal of an install is to get the basic system installed so I
can add stuff to it.  It would be __very__ handy if there was a
"standard" task in the task lists (or a metapackage) of aptitude that
corresponded to the "standard system" task in tasksel during the
install.

If you forgo using a mirror during the netinst.iso install, you get a
very basic system but one with enough to get more on it, with your
drives and kernel setup.

Doug.