Point missed. Was: Re: Debian as a Web server

On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 21:00 -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

> > >There is also webmin, which keeps up quite nicely even with Sid, IIRC.
> >
> > Webmin is deprecated in Etch and Sid. There is only one webmin package
> > left in the Archive for Etch or Sid.

> > >Except for webmin :-)
> >
> > There is no Webmin in Sid for sure.
> >
> > greg@princess:~$ apt-cache search webmin
> > webmin-ldap-user-simple - Ldap users control module for webmin (skolelinux)
> >
> > The Webmin packages currently available for Debian @ Webmin's official
> > site don't adapt well to the way things are being done in Debian now.
> >
> > Any future upgrade will be a HUGE PITA and cause a buncha manual work.
>
> That is absolutely not true.  Webmin may not be in the official archive
> anymore, but they still do support Debian.  The problem is that it is
> such a fast moving target that the Debian maintainers can't keep up.
> Webmin still works on Debian and still supports it.
>
> It has a built-in update mechanism which can be used to keep webmin
> updated from the upstream releases.

I guess you missed my point.

The point is, the setup for the webserver stuff and the modules to be
loaded by it... and the bind configuration and the configurations it
uses. The "split config" setups in Exim and Apache and Bind and other
services.

Webmin globs them all together. There lies the "upgrade" issues I speak
of. I know Webmin supports Debian Woody/Sarge/Etch, but not in the way
debconf can continue to manage it without bailing.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster:  Linux