Re: Debian as a Web server

On 12/12/06, Justin Hartman <jjhartman@gmail.com> wrote:
Forgive me if I am posting this to the wrong list but I am not sure
where this kind of a email would be posted to. That said, I am
interested to find out people's perspective on running Debian stable
as a web server in a production environment.

of course i do.

I have noticed that Red Hat, Suse, CentOS, Fedora, etc. appear to
dominate the web server market as the backend powering most production
servers and I'm wondering why Debian doesn't feature?

I'm sure you're wrong. Debian was showed as #1 in the web servers that
publishes the distribution info by Netcraft some time ago (nothing
more than 1 or 2 years ago).

I own two dedicated web servers and they run Red Hat and CentOS but
what makes them different to Debian? I have done a lot of reading and
research on Debian and my impression of, particularly stable is that
it is one of the most reliable, stable GNU/Linux systems available out
there.

Red Hat EL or the old and for the most part unsupported one? I've
managed some old RH servers through Fedora legacy updates before
migrating them to Debian on my current job. I'm a Debian Developer so
i'm biased and maybe not the most indicated person to tell you the
pros and cons, but there i go.

With RHEL you've somebody to pay and blame and their tools to update
the system are better in every release (except for the web interface,
Debian matches them, but you can install dpkg-www to obtain similar
features). I'm not into the CentOS community thing, but if they have a
lot of good people i would prefer CentOS than RHEL if you're not going
to pay Red Hat support.

Debian has a community and for the suprise of some, much more
softwares (we're talking about ~ 10.000 more) packaged and well
integrated. That's what (in a way) Fedora tries to reach, IMHO.
Actually, we're working very hard to polish our next release (Etch)
and i suggest you give it a try.

Maybe I'm missing some key issue here (and clearly I must be) but it
makes logical sense to me to power a production server with the most
stable system... surely?

Yeah. =)

regards,
-- stratus