Re: Debian as a Web server

On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 00:03 +0200, Justin Hartman wrote:
> > I'm sure you're wrong. Debian was showed as #1 in the web servers that
> > publishes the distribution info by Netcraft some time ago (nothing
> > more than 1 or 2 years ago).
>
> I'm sure I am and I was really making this statement based on my own
> perception more than any hard facts. I think what may be causing this
> perception is the web-based control panel companies like Cpanel and
> SWsoft. I've never seen a Cpanel or Plesk server running off of Debian
> but again this is only what I have noticed.

cPanel and Plesk plus others have support for the stable versions of
Debian (cPanel even still supports Woody, though that is changed
shortly)

> > Actually, we're working very hard to polish our next release (Etch)
> > and i suggest you give it a try.
>
> Honestly I really want to give Debian a try as one of my production
> servers. I don't know how difficult it will be to migrate the data
> across from CentOS and RH but I am considering getting a third server
> to accommodate for the growth of my site and I want to try this one
> with Debian.

Think, Debian has MORE Derivatives based on it than any other
Distribution. Debian is widely leeched upon.

> This all ofcourse once I have a proper understanding and feel totally
> comfortable with my current etch installation on my laptop.

Etch isn't yet supported by any of the Panel services/applications.

Etch support is a bit premature.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is