Re: DVDs - err what gives?

Baz wrote:

>     >
>     >     Whenever I try to open the SynapticPackage Manager, I get:
>     >     > An error occured
>     >     >
>     >     > The following details are provided:
>     >     >
>     >     > E: Type ' http://www.debian-multimedia.org' is not known
>     on line 15 in source
>     >     > list /etc/apt/sources.list
>     >     > E: The list of sources could not be read.
>
> ThinkBaz:/home/sebastian# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
> #
>
> deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot CD i386
> Binary-1 20061204-18:47]/ etch contrib main
>
> deb http://linux.csua.berkeley.edu/debian/ etch main
> deb-src http://linux.csua.berkeley.edu/debian/ etch main
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ etch main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib
>
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ sarge main
> deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ etch main contrib non-free
> deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux testing _Etch_ - Official Snapshot CD i386
> Binary-2 20061204-18:47]/ etch main
> http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch/main Packages
>
> http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid/main Packages
> http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid/main
>
> I removed the multimedia one through the Synaptic PM, but, it's
> obviously still there.

I'm not sure why changing it in Synaptic didn't change it in
/etc/apt/sources.list.

If I were you, I'd edit /etc/apt/sources.list with a text editor (I
usually use nano) and do one of the following:

1. Add "deb " to the front of each of the last three lines that
reference "debian-multimedia.org".

2. Comment out each of those last three lines by placing a splat (#) at
the front of the line.

3. Delete the last three lines altogether.

If it'd make you more comfortable, you can backup the sources.list file
first.

Also, these lines are not standard Debian lines to my knowledge. I'm a
tad suspicious of any source that is not official, but then I'm a tad
paranoid.

(PS. Trimming extraneous, no-longer needed stuff out of posts is
generally considered a good thing.)

(PPS. No need to CC: us in addition to sending your replies to the list
itself, since we're already reading the list. We don't need two copies
of each message.)

--
Kent West
Westing Peacefully <http://kentwest.blogspot.com>