Re: backup archive format saved to disk

On 12/12/06 18:06, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:

>>> Who said anything about MSDOS? C took over when CP/M was the rage.
>>> "Modules" are just what I mentioned with respect to "separate
>>> compilation".
>>>
>>> The issue with Pascal is that it is completely unsuited to
>>> systems programming altogether, because it has no escape
>>> route from the strong typing, no provision for separate
>>> compilation, and uses interpreted p-code.
>>

>> I'm not a systems programmer, I'm a DP programmer.  Thus, I don't
>> give a Rat's Arse whether my language of choice is good for system
>
> I wouldn't give you a rats ass for your opinion :-)
>
> Just kidding.

:)

>> programming.  In fact, I *like* B&D languages.  Why?  Not needing to
>> worry about pointers and heaps and array under/overflows trampling
>> over core means that my jobs die less often, which is A Good Thing.
>
> It certainly is. I'm not trashing Pascal. I liked Pascal. And, if
> you read what I wrote earlier, I commented that it is, for all
> who have eyes to see, a superior language /as a language/ to C.
> It is unsuitable for systems programming for various reasons.

You seem so focused on systems programming, as if the ability to do
systems programming is an important measure of a language.  Very
puzzling.

> It is unsuitable for any large program because it does not have
> separate compilation, which is a necessity when a program gets
> over about 1000 LLOC or so.

That's *highly* implementation-specific.

For example, VAX Pascal had separate compilation and could link with
object modules from other languages back in the early/mid-1980s.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Is "common sense" really valid?