Re: backup archive format saved to disk

hendrik@topoi.pooq.com writes:
>> I've yet to see the appeal of OO.  Then again I've never seen Algol.  I
>
> Much of the advantage of OO can be obtained by:
>    * strong type checkin * garbage collection * ancillary run-time checks

Those have nothing to do with OOP (that is to say, they are orthogonal
to it).

OOP's main advantages would seem to be:

  (1) improvement of modularity by keeping code related to a particular
      type in one place even in the presence of hierarchical type
      relationships,

  (2) easy sharaing of common code that often results from such type
      relationships, and

  (3) making it simpler to code generic algorithms by taking advantage of
      these hierarchical type relationships.

> C++ does *not* have these advantages.

It has many other advantages however, including those from OOP, and more
unusually, a notational power that makes certain sorts of programs
_much_ easier to write/read (part of this is the fact that doing so can
be done _efficiently_ -- it's very common to see e.g. java programs
which

-Miles

--
The car has become... an article of dress without which we feel uncertain,
unclad, and incomplete.  [Marshall McLuhan, Understanding Media, 1964]