Re: opening ports

Jochen Schulz wrote:
Mike McCarty:

Andrei Popescu wrote:

firewall are sometimes called "filtered" (by nmap) or "stealth" (by
some Windows firewalls).

A stealthed port appears not to exist to the external world,
but that does not mean that there is no service "listening"
on it.

"Stealthed" almost always means that there is a service listening on
that port, but traffic to it is being filtered somehow. However,
"pretending not to exist" is not possible for a computer with a public
IP address anyway. Even if you drop *every* incoming packet, an attacker

Certainly what you say here is true. However, *my* machine pretends
not to exist. I get (well, my router gets) a leased IP address.

still knows that you are there from the absence of an ICMP message from
your ISP's router that there is no computer with your IP address.

Hmm. Yes, you are probably right. I hadn't thought of that. But I don't
run "completely stealth". I have the "e-mail query" port non-stealth,
but closed. Otherwise, I get long delays on mail delivery sometimes :-)

Also, the term "stealth" has been around longer than Windows
firewalls, I do believe.

Don't know. It is a marketing term, that's for sure.

Prolly.

As I said, I'm not an expert on these matters.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.