Re: sarge->etch upgrade hits dependency hell

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 08:51:39AM -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 10, 2006 at 07:38:37PM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> >
> > why don't you boot sarge, chroot into etch and install a kernel from
> > inside the chroot? I think udev wants a kernel >= 2.6.15, IIRC.
>
> Interesting possibility.  I've avoided doing much with chroot, because
> I'm never sure how much is taken from the old environment, and how much
> from the new.  For example, there is the warning about replacing a
> running kernel -- which I suppose I might get in a chroot without it
> being a problem.  But am I sure?

as I understand it (very limited understanding here), the chroot knows
nothing about the rest of the system, but has access to the hardware
etc. So in the chroot environment you would have access to the sarge
network. This procedure is detailed in the debian docs [1]. You
probably WON'T get the replacing a running kernel in the chroot, but
if you do, you can safely ignore it, IMO.

> Just how much is it possible to do in a chroot?

everything, except mess with the system the chroot is running within,
unless you give it permission to. Lots of stuff gets run in chroots
for security reasons -- web servers, mail servers, user's shell
accounts etc. Its a decent way to segregate tasks while protecting the
main system. note my disclaimer above.

> Is it, for example, possible to do an entire Debian install in a
> chroot?

yes [1].

> so that existing users of the system don't have to care while you
> install a complete new system in another partition?

:) [1].

enjoy

[1] http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/apcs04.html.en