Re: sarge->etch upgrade hits dependency hell

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 02:49:57PM -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> After failing to reconstitute my etch system (details abundantly
> available on this mailing list a few months ago), I wiped its partition
> and tried to install etch form scratch using installer release candidate
> one, only to find that lilo crashed when it was trying to make the
> system bootable (installation report has been submitted).
>
> So my next attempt was to copy the still-running sarge system I have on
> another partition into my etch partition, and to try to upgrade the copy
> to etch by changing /etc/apt/sources to read 'etch' where the old one
> reads 'sarge', starting aptitude, and upgrading.

Hi Hendrik,

It would have been easier (and still may be) to fix the boot loader
thing on etch than what you've tried.

When I installed Etch (pre RC1), grub didn't get installed.  I rebooted
the installer in rescue mode and installed grub from there and it
worked.  You could try that with lilo or switch to grub.

As far as upgrading, if you check the release notes you'll see that you
have to upgrade aptitude before you do anything else.  Read the whole
release notes and see if anything else is applicable to your situation.

Good luck.

Doug.