Re: sarge->etch upgrade hits dependency hell

On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 11:40:27AM -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:

> I tried that, and got a *huge* raft of proposed deletions -- just from
> asking for aptitude to be upgraded.

what did you use to upgrade aptitude? you might want to use something
that thinks its less intelligent to do this. If you used aptitude to
try and upgrade aptitude, maybe you could try apt-get or even manually
with dpkg.

this all assumes you tried it with aptitude. Aptitude (not starting a
war here folks) will try to be too smart sometimes in working through
the dependencies resulting in a huge pile of deletions. so maybe
apt-get or dpkg would work to get that one out of the way and then you
could move on to upgrading the rest. or, if you
wnted to use aptitude, you could try and figure out which "groups" of
packages it was trying to remove and work up the dependency tree and
mark the major ones to keep or hold. For example, if for some reason
that aptitude upgrade tries to delete all of X, go in and manually
select xorg and give it a + (instlal) or : (hold) and that should
cascade down to the whole x system and keep it.

I haven't read the whole thread in detail so I'm sorry if I'm
repeating stuff here.

my apt-cache show's that aptitude only depends on a handful of other
packages (including, of course libc6, the big one). what is your

apt-cache policy for aptitude -- specifically the depends line. and
what versions of those packages do you currently have installed?