Re: debian and graphics drivers [was google earth and graphics drivers]

On Fri, 2006-12-08 at 04:06 +0000, Tyler wrote:
> Ok, it looks like I've sort of figured out my problem.
>
> I was using the "vesa" driver instead of the "i810" driver. So I changed
>   that field in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, gave and updated the identifier
> appropriately(?). The modified lines in xorg.conf are:
>
> <snip>
>
> Section "Device"
>          Identifier      "Intel 8xx"
>          Driver          "i810"
> EndSection
>
> <snip>
>
> Section "Screen"
>          Identifier      "Default Screen"
>          Device          "Intel 8xx"
>
> <snip>
>
> Then I got a few more errors, and an unusable Google Earth, until I ran:
>
> export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=true
>
> (google brought me this, I don't know what it means).
>
> Now Google Earth is almost as peppy as it is when I run XP on the same
> laptop, only without the excitement of crashing the entire system every
> few minutes like XP does.

"LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT, if defined this will force libGL.so to always
use indirect rendering instead of hardware acceleration. This can be
useful to isolate rendering errors"

From http://xfree86.activeventure.org/dri/DRI8.html
(Possible better documentation available elsewhere)

This sounds like hardware acceleration is turned off for Google Earth,
but you don't experience it as slow?

> The question now is, have I fixed the problem, or just bumbled into
> something that will cause me problems later on? There are lots of odd
> messages in my Xorg.log that look like problems, but I don't know:

Sounds like things are set up the way they should be. According to the
man page for i810, 945GM is supported.

> (II) LoadModule: "int10"
> (II) Reloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libint10.so
> (II) I810(0): initializing int10
> (WW) I810(0): Bad V_BIOS checksum
> (II) I810(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
> (II) I810(0): VESA BIOS detected
> (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2e
> (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2f
> (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x30
> (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x31
> (WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x32

The AIGLX warnings are harmless and can be ignored.

Anyway, first of all, make sure hardware acceleration is on and working
correctly for other applications. Do "glxinfo | grep direct" from a
terminal.

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson