Re: debian and graphics drivers [was google earth and graphics drivers]

Ok, it looks like I've sort of figured out my problem.

I was using the "vesa" driver instead of the "i810" driver. So I changed that field in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, gave and updated the identifier appropriately(?). The modified lines in xorg.conf are:

<snip>

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Intel 8xx"
        Driver          "i810"
EndSection

<snip>

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device          "Intel 8xx"

<snip>

Then I got a few more errors, and an unusable Google Earth, until I ran:

export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=true

(google brought me this, I don't know what it means).

Now Google Earth is almost as peppy as it is when I run XP on the same laptop, only without the excitement of crashing the entire system every few minutes like XP does.

The question now is, have I fixed the problem, or just bumbled into something that will cause me problems later on? There are lots of odd messages in my Xorg.log that look like problems, but I don't know:
(II) LoadModule: "int10"
(II) Reloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libint10.so
(II) I810(0): initializing int10
(WW) I810(0): Bad V_BIOS checksum
(II) I810(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
(II) I810(0): VESA BIOS detected
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2e
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2f
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x30
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x31
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x32

Thanks for your patience!

Tyle