Are lilo and grub compatible?

I have an emergency boot disk -- a floppy on which lilo wrote an MBR.
It works fine.  I use it to dual-boot a functinoal sarge and a severely
broken etch (well, actually the etch doesn't boot).

The etch installer's lilo won't run.  I could try running the installer
again and telling it to try grub, but I'm afraid that that might change
something that the sarge-installed lilo uses when I boot from floppy.
If the etch installer's grub fails like its lilo, I'm kind of afrais
that I will have no way of booting at all.

-- hendrik