Setup a printer on debian linux

Hi there,

 I am looking for an up to date documentation on how to setup a
printer under a debian/testing system .I am reading for example, that
one should not anymore install foomatic-filters-ppds (which use to
contain the ppd file for my printer), so I am guessing this is also a
bad idea to download the ppd file from linuxprinting.org:

http://wiki.debian.org/PrinterDriverPackagesSuggestedChanges

 According to this post:

http://lists.freestandards.org/pipermail/printing-user-general/2006/008550.html

 Those ppd files can be magically created for you...unfortunately I
could not find any documentation for this new way of setting up a
printer.

Thanks !

--
Mathieu