Re: a sound question

Mark Grieveson wrote:
Hi everyone. I have a usb-audio-device (aka a skype phone), and a couple of speakers plugged into my regular soundcard. I can get sound out of either device separately, but not both. I feel that I should be able to use both the soundcard, and the usb-audio-device at the same time (chat with Skype, while listening to music, for instance). Does anyone know how I might be able to do this? I use Etch, with the latest updated kernel (2.6.17), and the desktop environment is KDE (though changing to Gnome is fine, if required).

Mark

As I understand it, isn't a usb-audio-device like a soundcard to the kernel? If that's the case, is it that you can't have both your soundcard and your usb-audio-device active in the kernel at the same time? In other words, is it that you can't load the modules for your soundcard and the modules for your usb device at the same time in the kernel?

I sort of remember seeing in the list a way by which more than one "soundcard" can be loaded in the kernel at the same time. If your usb device is "like" a soundcard, maybe this is possible for you.

If I recall correctly, the module  lines were something like:

alias snd-card-0 snd-fm801
options snd-fm801 index=0
alias snd-card-1 XXXX
options XXXX index=1

XXXX represents the second module for a second "soundcard" to be loaded in the kernel at the same time.

Do you think this would work for you?  HTH.

--
Sincerely
Jose Alburquerque