a sound question

Hi everyone. I have a usb-audio-device (aka a skype phone), and a couple of speakers plugged into my regular soundcard. I can get sound out of either device separately, but not both. I feel that I should be able to use both the soundcard, and the usb-audio-device at the same time (chat with Skype, while listening to music, for instance). Does anyone know how I might be able to do this? I use Etch, with the latest updated kernel (2.6.17), and the desktop environment is KDE (though changing to Gnome is fine, if required).

Mark