Re: Problem installing packages with apt-get, aptitude and dselect

On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 06:01:51PM -0500, José Alburquerque wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> >what version of apt-get?
> >
> >check out bug 401263.
> >
> >Interestingly, though the bug says it applies to 0.6.46.2, I am
> >running that with no problems. (k7 arch). but there are a variety of
> >possible solutions posted.
> >
> >you may have to use dpkg to manually install an older(or newer) apt until
> >it
> >gets resolved.
> >
> >hth

> Thanks so much for your guidance!  I'm running version 0.6.46.3 of apt,
> but thanks to your pointing out of the bug report I was able to fix the
> segfaulting by following the temporary solution given in the bug
> report.  I'll most probably contribute to the bug report.

check out the package apt-listbugs. It puls down critical (and maybe
severe) bug reports and prompts you before installing packages. That's
how I saw the segfault bug in apt and held my apt and apt-utils at the
current version pending resolution.