Re: hardware raid vs. software raid

On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 17:20 +0100, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> My concern is that we are going to have only one server. So if there was
> a hardware problem, with software raid I could just temporarily move the
> disks to an ordinary workstation and serve the data from there. With
> hardware raid, I suppose I would have to wait for replacement parts.

If you do the following:

1.  Take a snapshot of the system after installing and configuring
everything.

2.  Make good backups of /home and (for Samba /etc/samba)

then you can get back up and running en very little time.

I take periodic snapshots of servers when I get a chance to restart them
(like after a kernel update scheduled for after hours.  Takes me a
couple of minutes to make a tarball of the / partition and regular
bakcups take care of /home and databases.  Thanks to the kind of
unstable power around here that can blow a UPS and everything on it in
one go, I've had to recover whole servers a few times.  Above recipy
works every time.

As for software v.s. hardware, for a simple raid-1 I find software good
enough but only if cost is really a huge factor.  If I do Raid-5 I
insist on a raid card.   Adaptec 2410SA PCI SATA (and the SCSI
equivalent) has served me very well.

Hans