hardware raid vs. software raid

Preparing to buy a new server...

What is debian's opinion about hardware/software raid?

I have the feeling that software raid 1 is more reliable since if
anything goes wrong with the hardware, I could just take one or two
disks out of the server and put them into a workstation to get up and
running or copy data of the disks for the time until the hardware gets
fixed.

On the other hand, performance will probably be better with a dedicated
hardware raid controller.

What are your experiences?

Thanks,
Johannes

NB: we are talking about ibm server sxeries 226, raid controller sata
raid 5 vs software raid 1 using mdadm.
I would either use 3x250 GB + raid 5 or 4x250 GB + raid 1