Re: Media player

On 11/30/06, cmo1@libero.it <cmo1@libero.it> wrote:
Thank you Brian

---------- Initial Header -----------

From      : "Brian Durant" interlists@gmail.com
To          : "cmo1@libero.it" cmo1@libero.it
Cc          : debian-user@lists.debian.org
Date      : Wed, 29 Nov 2006 18:03:30 +0100
Subject : Re: Media player

> I have been experiencing similar problems with Debian Etch (rc1)
> repositories mentioned at Debian Help: http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/
>
> It sure would be nice if there was a Debian version of this
> "source-o-matic" sources.list generator:
>
> http://www.ubuntulinux.nl/source-o-matic
>
> and/or a Debian version of EasyUbuntu:
>
> http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/index.html
>
> and/or Automatix2: http://www.getautomatix.com/
>
> I don't know if the repositories have been taken off line or if the
> structure of the repositories has been changed since the howtos were
> made. Very frustrating.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Brian
>
> On 11/29/06, cmo1@libero.it <cmo1@libero.it> wrote:
> > Dear all,
> > I've solved my problem on apt-get...simply reading how to on Debian site, sorry.
> > Now, I would like to have a media player for video streaming on my debian pc, how can i do?
> > I have found this http://www.bxlug.be/articles/129
> > Trying add this
> > deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ sarge main
> > in sources.list file and doing apt-get update then apt-get realplayer, it doen't work...
> > Can you help me?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> > Carmelo

So, now that this problem is solved, I still need to deal with the
original issue I posted about, which succinctly put is that I am a
newbie mucking around trying to get all of the multimedia goodies
installed. I have Helix and I have installed the w32codex, gstreamer,
etc. However, Either I haven't installed everything or I have
installed something that I shouldn't have.

I get the following from the gnome-cd player:

Error playing CD.

Reason: Resource busy or not available.

Goobox can't even find the CD (plus sometimes quits as soon as it
starts) and Rythmbox and VLC refuse to play any audio files,
regardless of whether they are .ogg, .mp3, etc.

I thought I was just following the process for get multimedia to work,
but there is definitely something not right here. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Brian