how to convert DVD to something uploadable to youtube?

I have a DVD (PAL system, not sure if it matters, no copy protection) and I'd like to convert it to something that I can upload to youtube (or just send to friends). I am using debian linux system (unstable).

I tried dvdrip and cinelerra (from http://www.kiberpipa.org/~minmax/cinelerra/builds/pentium4/) however got nowhere:

- DVD rip by dvdrip ok, I get *vob files I can view with e.g. xine (same quality as DVD so I guess that part worked)

- dvdrip transcode - I tried several options but avis are of very low quality

- cinelerra - tried to export to avi, the video is all blue with broken timing (slows down at a time)

  any pointers to solutions? Programs to use? Settings? Howtos?

  TIA

	erik