Re: Running postgresql-7.4 and postgresql-8.1 simultaneously

On Tuesday, 28.11.2006 at 15:05 +0000, Shri Shrikumar wrote:

> >>Is it possible to run both the 7.4 and 8.1 versions of postgresql
> >>simultaneously on the same box. I assume that if I was to download and
> >>install manually that it would work but is there a way of doing it
> >>through the package management system?
> >>
> >Perhaps we can help further if you explain exactly what you're trying to
> >achieve by installing both simultaneously?
> >
> Thanks for your response. We are working on migrating website from 7.4
> to 8.1 and need to some analysis and benchmarking to compare the two
> systems. We also need to have the 7.4 running in case we need to make
> changes to the live site.

Very sensible to test before making that migration.

This explains why you want to have 7.4 and 8.1 available, but do they
really need to be on the same *server*?  I'm not sure you'd get
completely helpful analysis/benchmarking because you'd need to have
non-standard installations of at least one of the PostgreSQL setups, if
not both.

Do you have a second, similar server you can use for testing PostgreSQL
8.1?  The alternative as suggested by another poster in this thread is
to use a chroot, putting PostgreSQL 7.4 in the main system and
PostgreSQL 8.1 in the chroot...

Dave.
--
Please don't CC me on list messages!