Re: Running postgresql-7.4 and postgresql-8.1 simultaneously

On Tuesday, 28.11.2006 at 11:04 +0000, Shri Shrikumar wrote:

> Is it possible to run both the 7.4 and 8.1 versions of postgresql
> simultaneously on the same box. I assume that if I was to download and
> install manually that it would work but is there a way of doing it
> through the package management system?

The Debian package for postgresql-8.1 has a 'conflicts with' flag set
for the PostgreSQL 7.x packages, so there would be no clean way to do
this.  I have a feeling that some of the PostgreSQL library packages
(libpq3 and libpq4) might conflict too.

In addition you'd need to ensure that the services were configured to
listen on different ports, although that would be fairly trivial to
achieve.

Perhaps we can help further if you explain exactly what you're trying to
achieve by installing both simultaneously?

Dave.
--
Please don't CC me on list messages!
Dave Ewart - davee@sungate.co.uk - jabber: davee@jabber.org