Re: How to switch my timezone configure

> On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 02:02:26PM +0800, Wisilence Seol wrote:
>>
>> I select"use UTC" during the installation,and find some problem such as
>> my
>> locatime in linux is 8 hours ahead of my bios time(my current real world
>> time)
>>
>> I want to know if I can reconfigure this timezone configure after my
>> installation?Can I swith between "use UTC" or "not use UTC" mode?

I missed the beginning of this thread, so sorry if this repeats:

The answer is yes, you can run dpkg-reconfigure on whatever package set
your timezone (may be base-config, but I'm not sure, and it will depend on
which release you have installed).

I am guessing your BIOS clock is set to a US timezone so is 8 hours
earlier than UTC.  If so, you can easily change the bios at reboot, and
Linux will assume more time has passed.  If the time difference is the
other way, you could confuse some cron jobs by putting the clock back to
before the time that previous activity logged. If you need to do that,
choose a time when you can leave the box switched off for more than 8
hours.

> You should first decide if this is what you want to do.
>
> If you're dual-booting and you need Windows to read localtime from the
> bios then the bios should be local time.  That would mean that you will
> have to alter the bios twice a year for daylight savings.

I have a feeling that recent Windows releases know about daylight saving
time (from as long ago as Doze98, IIRC).  So the twice a year change
shouldn't be needed.

> I haven't run windows since 3.1 so I don't know if you can tell Windows
> that the bios is on UTC or not.

I don't know this either.  For the rare occasions I use Doze, I just let
it think the time is something weird.  That is the least of the
inconveniences.

--
richard