Re: Replacing Gnome with KDE

On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 04:55:19PM -0800, Arlie Stephens wrote:

> I used aptitude to select any packages that looked like they might be
> part of kde, and remove any packages that looked like they might be
> part of the guts of gnome.  The result is a mess. I appear to be
> running kdm (according to ps), but the result has the look and feel of
> nothing much. If it's kde, it's sure changed - a lot.
>
> I'm not sure whether the problem is that I'm missing a few pieces of
> kde, still have gnome bits running that shouldn't be, or simply that
> the various package installation scripts emphatically failed to do the
> right thing. At this point, the system is only usable if I bypass X
> entirely - there's no way to get a shell window inside X. There's also
> no control center, or any of the other things that ought to be on the
> icon/menu bar that normally loves at the bottom of the screen.
>
> Any suggestions for how to fix this mess? At the moment, the best
> thing I can think of would be to reinstall, with tasksel/kde-desktop.
> I'd prefer something a little less drastic.

Since I don't use either kde or gnome I can't help you there.  However,
less drastic than a total reinstall would be to use aptitude:  find the
gnome task and look at all the dependancies (and dependancies of
dependancies) and remove anything that is not required by xorg (to get
just the basic X system.  Then find the KDE task and select this.
Aptitude should sort it out.

Good luck.

Doug.