Replacing Gnome with KDE

I made the mistake of selecting 'workstation' when installing etch. It
managed to do the X installation correctly, without needing to be
rescued manually, which is way better than I've seen from earlier
debians. That's the good news. The _bad_ news is that it installed
gnome, and apparantly only gnome.

I used aptitude to select any packages that looked like they might be
part of kde, and remove any packages that looked like they might be
part of the guts of gnome.  The result is a mess. I appear to be
running kdm (according to ps), but the result has the look and feel of
nothing much. If it's kde, it's sure changed - a lot.

I'm not sure whether the problem is that I'm missing a few pieces of
kde, still have gnome bits running that shouldn't be, or simply that
the various package installation scripts emphatically failed to do the
right thing. At this point, the system is only usable if I bypass X
entirely - there's no way to get a shell window inside X. There's also
no control center, or any of the other things that ought to be on the
icon/menu bar that normally loves at the bottom of the screen.

Any suggestions for how to fix this mess? At the moment, the best
thing I can think of would be to reinstall, with tasksel/kde-desktop.
I'd prefer something a little less drastic.

--
Arlie

(Arlie Stephens	                              arlie@worldash.org)