Re: Using defoma to install heritage truetype fonts

On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 06:52:03 +1100, Felix Karpfen wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 18:16:36 +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote
> (<[🔎] 20061124171636.GK1944@freenet.de>):
>
> > Am 2006-11-21 17:07:03, schrieb Ismael Valladolid Torres:
> >> Jan Willem Stumpel escribe:
> >>
> >> He'll need to enable the non-free repo in his sources.list.
> > And of cause he need to be On-Line since this Package want to download
> > something from an external Server.
> >
> > Realy bad, if you have no Internet and only CD's or DVD's.
>
> Firstly, I would like to thank all who were good enough to reply to my
> query.
>
> Regrettably some of the responses did not make it to my box; the cause is
> still obscure.
>
> However, by following the quotes from the posting from Michelle Konzack -
> that _did_ make it - I take it that the advice was to use msttcorefonts.
>
> I tried that already and the install failed to go to completion for the
> reason listed above - I was not connected to the internet.
>
> And I am reluctant to rerun the package while connected unless I have at
> least some idea what size of a download I am likely to get.  Since I only
> have a 56k modem, a multi-megabyte download is not undertaken lightly.
>
> I was hoping that an alternative route exists, that will enable me to
> point the TrueType install routine to the directory that contains the few
> fonts that I already have on my box.

I think you can just create a directory in /usr/local/share/fonts and
copy your .ttf files into that directory. Then run fc-cache as root and
fontconfig should know about these new fonts. You can check this with
the output of fc-list. If you only need the fonts for one user then you
can copy them to .fonts directory in that user's homedir and run
fc-cache as that user.

It may be necessary to run update-fonts-dir on the new font directory to
create the fonts.dir file for X. (I am not 100% sure for .ttf files.)

I also seem to remember that both KDE and Gnome have a font installer
option somewhere in their configuration dialogs. I know that with KDE
you can just right-click on a .ttf file and choose "Actions > Install".
That also works for files in the WINDOWS/FONTS directory of a mounted
Windows C: partition. Just make sure you get all necessary files for
each font. (regular, bold, italic, bold+italic, maybe more...)

--
Regards,
          Florian