Re: Using defoma to install heritage truetype fonts

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 18:16:36 +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote
(<[🔎] 20061124171636.GK1944@freenet.de>):

> Am 2006-11-21 17:07:03, schrieb Ismael Valladolid Torres:
>> Jan Willem Stumpel escribe:
>> > apt-get install msttcorefonts will do (most of) what you want.
>>
>> He'll need to enable the non-free repo in his sources.list.
> And of cause he need to be On-Line since this Package want to download
> something from an external Server.
>
> Realy bad, if you have no Internet and only CD's or DVD's.

Firstly, I would like to thank all who were good enough to reply to my
query.

Regrettably some of the responses did not make it to my box; the cause is
still obscure.

However, by following the quotes from the posting from Michelle Konzack -
that _did_ make it - I take it that the advice was to use msttcorefonts.

I tried that already and the install failed to go to completion for the
reason listed above - I was not connected to the internet.

And I am reluctant to rerun the package while connected unless I have at
least some idea what size of a download I am likely to get.  Since I only
have a 56k modem, a multi-megabyte download is not undertaken lightly.

I was hoping that an alternative route exists, that will enable me to
point the TrueType install routine to the directory that contains the few
fonts that I already have on my box.

Years ago, there were users, with access to both Linux and Windows, who
claimed that the Linux substitutes for TrueType fonts were ugly. If this
is still the case, then my aesthetic sensibilities are of a low order. As
flagged in the original posting, I have lived successfully without my
TrueType fonts for more than 12 months and am not convinced that I need
them in my current setup (Debian Sarge).

I propose to Google the debian.user archives in order to retrieve the
postings that I have lost; in the meantime, I hasten to repeat my thanks
to all who were good enough to send advice.

Felix Karpfen

--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)