HELP using gpart ?

I am attempting to recover a disk's partitions with gpart, that reports:

    root inode is not a directory
    first block (0) != normal first block (1)
    round ext2fs on device

        inodes 252416
        blocks 504000
        firstdatazone 0 (N=1)
        zonesize 4096
        max size 1074791436

        dir entries 255 chars
        inode map occupies 8 blks
        zone map occupies 16 blks
        inode table occupies 7888 blks

I do have a copy of the disks geometry before the implosion which I'd
be pleased to forward to anyone needing it to diagnose/prescribe a solution.

I'd also be glad to forward a copy of gpart's scan using the command:

    gpart -vvfn s -ql /tmp/gpart.log /dev/hda &

which does indicate that it found the missing partitions but also contains
a lot of information that is impenetrable for me.

All help appreciated, of course,

Courtney