Re: Laptop choice?

Nick Boyce wrote:
> My 2p on that: I've used two Thinkpads at work (but not with Linux), a
> T20 and a T21.  Good points: very physically sturdy (a Dell Latitude
> seems flimsy by comparison), and have a nice security feature (or scary
> feature depending on your point of view) in that if you set a BIOS
> password then it's held in non-volatile RAM, so can't be overridden by
> removing the CMOS battery.  Bad point: the hard drives made a nasty
> whining noise - so alarming that the IBM website even has a sample of it
> for you to listen to so you can tell it's "normal" :)
>
> These were quite elderly models - I'd love to hear how modern Thinkpads
> compare on these points.

Mine is about the most quiet laptop of anyone I know. I still haven't
figured out, however, why the hard drive (on heavy duty) is even quieter
on linux as on that other OS that IBM had installed for me.

I had a failing multiburner that has been replaced in warranty;
currently it's been up and used for more than 7000 h (I'm not sure if
these include the odd M$ hour, but these wouldn't make a difference).

Yours,
Thinkpad R51