Re: dell server

Nagy Ákos wrote:

> I have a DELL power edge 1420 server and I want to install debian on
> it, but I'm not shure, everything is gona be alright. is debian support
> this hardwer??

I've installed Debian Sarge on two Dell Poweredge 4400 servers at work -
dual Xeon processors, and lots of SCSI-connected hot-swap disks.  Sarge
works like a champ on these boxes - there's even a custom SMP kernel
available for use, so no kernel compilation necessary.  The boxes have
been stable for months now.

FWIW, I also tried installing Ubuntu Hoary Hedgehog on the same boxes,
and it didn't work - there was some awful kernel problem which meant
that although installation seemed to be successful they died a few
minutes after boot, every time.  I could never get to the bottom of it,
but it seemed to have something to do with interrupts getting missed,
leading to disks going missing, and the keyboard ending up unresponsive.

I don't know what hardware your 1420 has in it, but I'd say just try.

Good luck,
Nick Boyce